- 1 cup Brown Rice Flour
- 2/3 cup Tapioca Starch
- 1/3 cup Potato Starch
- 1 cup White Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Xanthan gum
- ¾ c softened Earth Balance (dairy-free butter)
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp Vanilla
- ½ cup Rice Milk
Wednesday, September 28, 2011
Gluten Free, Dairy Free White Cupcakes and Chocolate Frosting
For my son’s 4th birthday I decided to make cupcakes instead of a cake (cupcakes are sooo much easier for toddlers!!); and since he has a Dairy Sensitivity and I have Gluten Sensitivity (hey, since I am making it I want to enjoy it too!) I had to find a recipe that would fit both of our needs but still be tasty for all the other folk without special eating needs. I found the following recipes online and tweaked them to fit our needs. (And I didn’t get a single complaint about the “special” cupcakes, even from the pickiest boy in the group!)
Gluten Free White Cupcakes
(Dairy Free as well!)
Adapted from: amandainpitt.livejournal.com/6935.html
1) Yield: 16-18 cupcakes, (2) 6” Round Layers, 9” Round pan, or 10” Square pan
2) Pre-Heat your oven to 350°
3) Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl until completely combined.
4) Place softened Earth Balance in mixer bowl; blend until fluffy. Add flour mix to Earth Balance, blend on lowest setting until fully combined. Change setting to the next highest setting and continue to blend until mix is crumbly (about 1 min).
5) In a small bowl, whisk eggs and vanilla together. Add egg to flour mixture and blend until smooth and thick, about 1 minute. Add Rice Milk and blend for another minute
6) Pour into prepared pan and bake until toothpick pulls out clean. Baking time will vary depending on what pan you use, typically start at 24 minutes for cupcakes and 45 minutes for a loaf pan.
*Personally I have only tried these as cupcakes and they baked for approximately 25 minutes. They did not rise like cakes and cupcakes normally do, but they were very moist and soft.*
Vegan Chocolate Frosting
(Dairy free and Gluten Free)
Adapted from: dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/sweetsaucesfrostings/r/chocfrost.htm
2 cups powdered sugar
¼ cup softened Earth Balance (dairy-free butter)
¼ cup Rice Milk
¾ cup unsweetened
½ tsp Vanilla
Makes approximately 2 cups
1) Cream together Powdered Sugar and Earth Balance in a bowl with hand mixer; Add Rice Milk, Cocoa Powder, and vanilla, blend until smooth.
2) Spread on cooled cupcakes or cake; store any unused portions in a refrigerator in an airtight container.